Living in Romania

How to Get a Residence Permit in Romania

If you are visiting Romania and you are an EU citizen or an US citizen, you are allowed to stay in Romania without a visa for a total period of 90 days. This doesn’t go for EU and US citizens only, as many nationalities are allowed to stay without the need of a residence permit or a visa for up to 3 months, no questions asked.

However, if you are planning to stay more than 90 days in the country, you need a residence permit aka a registration certificate which allows you to stay up to one year in the country. In the Romanian language, this residence permit is called “permis de sedere” and can be obtained on a yearly basis, the procedure being pretty much straightforward.

The only problem is that you’ll have to deal a bit with the Romanian bureaucracy to get your residence permit – something that is not extremely enjoyable, but fortunately you don’t have to go through this often!

In today’s article, we are going to talk about how to get a residence permit in Romania if you are an EU citizen and if you are not an EU citizen. The procedures vary slightly, with the latter being a bit more complicated. If you’re not an EU citizen, simply scroll down until you get to the non-EU permits.

NOTE: This article was originally written back in 2014, but things have changed a lot since, so I am updating it today with 2019 data.

How to get your residence permit if you are an EU citizen

If you’re looking to get a registration certificate in Romania (this is actually the official name, as the “residence permit” is actually given to family members – but we won’t focus too much on terminology right now), things are really simple for EU and EEA citizens.

Romanian Residence Permit
This is what you’re after (thanks, Shane for sharing it with us).

The registration process is simple and straightforward:

1. First, you will need to fill up a form requesting your permit, and you can get yours from the territorial units of the General Inspectorate for Immigration (each larger city will have one). You will get a different form based on your situation: you can register as an employee, volunteer, commercial activities, study, self sufficient person or family member.

2. You need your ID card or Passport (both copy and original)

3. Proof of funds (pension slip, bank account etc) or work contract / study contract (depending on the case)

Note: As you will see below, unless you move here with work, the self-sufficient route is the easiest as the requirements are very low. Scroll down to see what “self sufficient” means.

What does “sufficient funds” or “self sufficient” mean?

The amount is very low, but there’s a bit of confusion in the data I have. Probably the papers on the official government’s website have not been updated, but the law states clearly that the amount considered in Romania is the minimum guaranteed revenue in Romania. I am listing the real values below (although the government lists lower amounts). It’s a small difference anyway and you will probably find the amounts laughable:

– 141,5 RON per month for 1 person (around 30 Euros)
– 255 RON per month for a 2 person family
– 357 RON per month for a 3 person family
– 442 RON per month for a 4 person family
– 527 RON per month for a 5 person family
– extra 36.5 RON per month for each additional family member over 5

How to prove that you have sufficient funds:

– Pension coupon that you have received at most 3 months before coming to Romania
– a tax statement from the previous year proving that you meet the minimum required income listed above
– bank account proving that you have the money or basically any document that proves that you have sufficient funds
– for students, writing a declaration that you have sufficient funds is acceptable.

4. Proof of existing health insurance (European health card is accepted and valid, but you can also opt for private insurance companies or pay for the state-owned health insurance)

Note: In order to complete the registration forms, you will need a local address in Romania. This means that you should have secured a rental contract or bought a house/apartment prior to applying. Although this doesn’t usually happen, they might ask for the rental contract to confirm your address, so have that on you just in case.

Once you have all the papers, you will need to pay some local tax fees. I couldn’t find updated information about these fees online, but they were of a totoal of around 20 lei (5 Euros) and probably they didn’t increase too much in the mean time.

For EU an EEA citizens, the residence permit is offered in the same day, usually immediately after dropping in the papers. The permit is valid for at least one year, but on specific circumstances it can go to up to 5 years. It can be renewed yearly following the same simple procedures.

All in all, if you’re an EU citizen and you want to get a “Permis de sedere” aka registration certificate in Romania for stays longer than 3 months, it’s extremely easy to do so.

How to get your residence permit if you are a non-EU citizen

Things are a bit more complicated if you are a non-EU citizen who wants to stay in Romania for more than 90 days. The main thing that makes getting a residency permit more difficult for an US, Canadian or any other non-EU citizen is the fact that self-sufficiency is not acceptable.

Also, Romania does not offer a retirement plan or something to make it easier for retirees to move to Romania, if they are from outside the EU. So, even if you are a self sufficient person or a retiree, you will have to meet one of the requirements below in order to get your residence permit in Romania:

– being employed in Romania
– joining family (family reunification)
– studying
– scientific research or religious activities
– volunteering
– long-term medical treatment (you would actually need a letter from the institution treating you to confirm it)
– Unremunerated training (in this case, you must submit proof of sufficient funds, amounting to at least the monthly gross average salary in the country)
– manager of a company

This last method used to be the easiest way for self-sufficient people who are non-EU citizens to get their residence permit in Romania. It was cheap and relatively easy to achieve, and it still is for most people who don’t meet any of the other requirements.

However, in order to get the registration certificate as the manager of a company, you now need to meet this requirement as well: the company realized a contribution of capital or a technology transfer of at least 50,000 EUR (Update: according to one of our readers who discussed this in detail with the authorities, for US citizens, the 50,000 Euros crieteria DOES NOT apply, meaning that  the entire process should be a lot easier).

As I know that we have many US-based readers (and many from other non EU countries as well) who want to retire to Romania, these new changes make things a bit more complicated. Until now, it was easy to open that company since costs were low… but now that you need at least 50,000 Euros for it, things are a bit more difficult. For retirees, there is still the volunteering option and maybe the long-term medical treatment one, but unfortunately the country doesn’t make it easy for retirees to move here…

The taxes you have to pay also vary depending on the type of application, but usually you should expect to have to pay at least the following:

  • 120 Euros consular tax
  • 260 RON for the residency permit (permis de sedere) itself

Please have in mind that these taxes might change, use them more as a guideline and double check with the embassy for actual costs!

For non-EU citizens, the police record is also required, proof that you have health insurance, proof that you have where to live and, based on your personal situation, more documents might be required.

Have in mind that you must apply for a residence permit in the country (or an extension of it) 30 days before the expiration of your current status (that’s either after 60 days in the country or 30 days before your current permit expires).

Where to submit your application?

You have to visit the Immigration office in your current city. If you are in a small city or village, there might not be a local Immigration office there, but one that serves the entire county in a nearby, larger city. Just Google “birou emigrari” and the name of your city to find out where you can find the closest one!

What happens if you don’t get a residence permit

If you stay longer than 90 days in Romania, as an US citizen or other non-EU individual, without getting the residence permit, you will incur a fine of up to $600 and you could also be banned from returning to Romania for a period of time that depends on the length of the overstay (but usually not longer than 1 year).

If you have valid grounds for not getting the permit, like medical emergencies or school/employer failing to give you the required documents, you can request a waiver of the ban at the Immigration Office – this has to be done before leaving the country.

For EU citizens, you could incur a fine (apparently of around 50 lei, which is something like 12 Euros) and you won’t be banned from returning to the country, nor deported.

If you want to find out even more, you can check out this article which fully details how an US family moved to Romania and what they had to do to make their stay legal and permanent. Have in mind that they made the move back in 2015 and things changed a bit since then.

Also, make sure to read the comments below. There are some nice experiences shared by people who went through this and were kind enough to detail the process once more.

Share if you liked this!

Related Articles


  1. Hi Calin: Thanks so much for detailing the process! No matter where you go, there’s some bureaucracy, yes?
    Luckily for us non-Romanian speakers, the website you referenced has an English option–just click on the “Union Jack” flag;>)
    Is Romania accepting refugees from Syria, Iraq, and other places torn by war?
    There is so much bloodshed around the world, Romania is blessed to be at
    Take care,
    ~Teil (USA)

    1. Indeed Teil, and Romanian bureaucracy isn’t the best in the world, but these are the steps that have to be taken.

      To be honest, I don’t really know if we’re accepting refugees from other countries, but I personally believe that we do. I’ll have to look into this, though.

  2. Buna Calin

    I hope you and the family are well mate.

    This is a good article, and yes, along with Teil, worked out the English version. I would still find it very difficult to come to stay, as I am deemed as an “unskilled worker” (work in retail- supermarkets, hardware and home improvements), and would have no chance of getting work there. I am too young to retire (48 ani), and the Romanian lady friend (50 ani) who I’ve now known for 2 years, can’t wait forever for me to return (which I can’t and won’t expect her to). I don’t want to let her go, but may have to, so she can move on and find someone else. She needs stability for her and her son (12 ani). This is breaking my heart, but I have no chance of getting a long stay visa and temporary residence permit.

    Talk to you later Calin. Keep safe and warm. I see its getting pretty cold over there now.

    La revedere

    1. Shawn, first thing you need to be sure of, horrible though it is to think about. It’s the relationship built on sincerity or are you a meal ticket? Cynical I know but I have seen10 or more examples of exactly this scenario. One day soon you will have no earning and the state pension of 70-100 euros per month when prices are much higher than now will be useless to you.

      Whatever you do make sure it is reversible, sustainable and relationship proof. For the price of living in this great country, which I gladly traded a nice life in the UK for, is that you are on your own. There is almost zero charity, from family to society in general. There are many great exceptions to this but I speak with 11 years of experience and thousands of hours and euros of charity work under my belt. One expat left Romania in 2012 after 15 years saying ‘at no time did anyone buy me a beer or coffee in my whole time in Romania’ . This is a sad reality. Expect no charity or generousity and anything else is a bonus. That said, it still is the best place in the EU to live. Humble, hard working, warm people a plenty. Peacerul, lacking in civil violence and agression. Its hard to top living bere if you can survive from tour pen resources. If you news care or help, think carefully.

      But equally, a life kof ea se without adventure and struggle is no life worth mentioning.

      1. Hi there
        Thank you for your comments. I appreciate your feedback. No, I am not one of these looking to be a meal ticket. The relationship is based on sincerity. When I was there last year in May/June I experienced the life these people faced. Since returning to my home country, I have kept in constant contact, have tried to gain employment in Romania, have looked at countless blogs, and have been on the official site, to find as much information possible to return. However, there is so much red-tape; it is easier to get a residence permit for someone coming into this country, than going there. My friend cannot take her son out of Romania, as her ex has made it clear that the boy can’t leave without his say-so. So for them to come here is a no-go.

    2. Buna Calin
      Sorry it’s been a long time since I’ve been on mate. Unfortunately, I have sad news. I had to end the 2+ year relationship with the Romanian lady (and her son) that I was involved in. I suffered a major mental health issue, and had to be hospitalised, due to the unending stress that was occurring within the relationship. I can only hope for a good future for the 2 of them. This will most probably be my last correspondence with your page Calin. I hope you, Mrs & baby Romanian have a great future. Take care. Pa.

      1. Hello Shawn,

        I am really sorry to hear about that. Long distance relationships can indeed be very stressful – I’ve been in one a long while ago and I know how difficult it is. I am sorry to hear that it had to end like this and I wish you all the best! Take care!

  3. Italy has the same thing of registering with the police after 10 days . About 4 years ago Christmas time, my Brother in law’s girlfriend went to register cos she went for a long visit and my MIL thought she would get in trouble, so off they went. The cops laughed and told them to “get the f**k out” in italian 🙂 of course.. Nice detailed post.

    1. I don’t think that anyone would get in trouble for staying a bit longer and personally, I have never heard of a police officer asking proof of residency from somebody. So unless people are driving and are pulled over, I don’t think they would ever get that checked. Especially not on Christmas time, although I am sure that here they would get the papers done 🙂

  4. Wanted to bring this back to life as I’m trying to work out the process for my family right now. I’ve talked with an American in Bucharest that was asked for a better reason than retiring there. I’ve also talked with a Canadian who was told retiring there isn’t a good enough reason by the immigration office in Brasov. These guys found other ways to get their permits, but were both turned down when applying under the “activities which are not contrary to Romanian law”. Even though it’s right there on the General Inspectorate for Immigration page, the immigration officers that you submit your application to don’t seem to be okay with it.

    My plan is to contact the Romanian Embassy here in the US and see if there’s anything they can do or any advice they can give to make things go smoothly upon our arrival in Romania. I’m hoping that someone who visits this blog has been through it and was successful. Has anyone been successful getting their permit?

    1. This is actually outrageous, Keith. Did it happen recently or a few years ago? I am sure that things work better now – maybe the officials were actually looking for some “spaga” (bribe) to make it work, but nowadays things are a lot better in this area.

  5. Brasov Canadian was in March this year and the American in Bucharest was in June this year. I also saw that Wandering Earl was denied when he tried to renew his permit in March and had to leave Romania the next day. Here’s the link to his post on it: He’s back in Romania now, but has given up on getting residency. We emailed yesterday and he told me how most people are going about getting their permits and the costs associated though.

    It seems the best and most successful route at this time is to set up a company. Different lawyer prices I’ve heard are from 300 to 500 euros. They’ll do all the paperwork and filing. The tax liability for the company is about $200 US each year. It’s a small price to pay for peace of mind in my opinion. After seeing what has happened to a couple bloggers now being deported quickly, I’m going to do everything I can to ensure that I can stay as long as I want to.

    1. Wandering Earl’s case was a bit different and even though I was sad to hear about him being refused for the renewal, it was in the first place a bit of a gamble. But for retirement… well… I really don’t understand our authorities, we were supposed to evolve and not go back in time. Hopefully things will change and common sense will come back to them. Good luck with your move and I am sorry you have to go through some extra expenses to make it happen!

      1. Just read this post about “retiring isn’t a good enough reason.” That’s a bit startling and surprising. Hope that’s not the case. We’d most likely settle for Bulgaria where retirees appear to be considered an asset but Romania is where I want to be.

        1. This is indeed surprising and I didn’t know about it either. Things might change in the very near future, but right now it seems that people moving from the US to Romania, even though they are retired, are recommended to start up a business (it doesn’t really have to be active, though) and they will get the permit. The costs are minimal though – probably just a way for the state to suck some extra money from foreigners…

  6. If you arrive Romania on Tourist and want to get temporary renewable residence , may be 1 yr renewable residence , is this possible?

  7. If you arrive Romania on Tourist Visa and want to get temporary renewable residence , may be 1 yr renewable residence , is this possible?

      1. Hi sir im
        Melanie rotaru from Philippines im
        Married before with a romanian guy and we had a child 13 yrs old but my child stayed with him. I had a romanian residence valid for 5 years sir but now its already expired the question ia can i renew it sir even though im
        Not staying in romania for a couple of years now thank you so much sir hope you could help me

      2. Your situation is really particular, so I don’t really know what to say. If the child is still living in Romania, I believe that you could renew the permit – but you will have to discuss this to the authorities, as they know better how to deal with this particular case.

        (If you want to come here and work, then you can definitely get a new one as a worker)

  8. Hello, I have been researching my retirement prospects and I am concerned over the criminal history check. Unfortunately, I do have some felony drug convictions in my past. With the most recent convictions being 15 years old, will this disqualify me for resident visa?

  9. My Romanian girlfriend and I want to retire to Bucharest, where she has an apartment. Someone there told her that we would have to get married for me to be allowed to stay, but from what I have been reading here, starting a business there might be an alternative. I was thinking of doing that anyway, since I own a small business here. She says there is no demand for an upholstery shop there, and l wouldn’t make any money, but maybe if the rent is cheap enough, it doesn’t matter. Perhaps that’s the best approach. Please advise. We want this to happen in a year and a half or so.

    1. The marriage is clearly the guaranteed way to get it. You can try the business, you can never tell if it’s going to work until you give it a try. I tend to side with your wife here, though… but Bucharest is a large city and an upholstery shop in the right area, with the right marketing approach might work. So good luck with it!

  10. I have read that you also need proof of valid health insurance do you know much about this?
    I have been living out the UK for 2 years now and do not have a European Health card. Is it possible to start making social security contributions before getting the residency? Or will I need to take out an expat insurance policy?
    Thanks for the article!

    1. Hello David,

      You will have to get a private insurance policy before being able to get the residency and afterwards you can switch to the state-backed one. The difference in price is not that big, as you can find private insurance for as low as $25 per month – about the same price of the state one.

  11. I am looking to buy a land in Romania worth £5000

    Is it possible for me to apply for 5year PR so I can stay near my land and later apply for citizenship in Romania after 5years of stay ?

    I want to move out of india

    1. Unfortunately, that is not a viable option. Non-EU people are not allowed to own land in Romania (although they are allowed to own property). You could buy a property in a village and turn it into a business, which would allow you to get the permit here, but it has to be renewed on a yearly basis and not valid for 5 years. Plus, this would also require extra money spent on the business alone each year.

  12. Kindly , I want to apply for residence stay in romania what the steps if my wife and daughter Romanian citizen .???

  13. WOW! I was blown away by the laws and requirements to move to Romania. It is going to take longer than it did to convince my wife to move there. I am hoping that since these posts are old, things may have changed for the better, but not holding my breath. Looks like I need to start a business there since being a retiree is just not going to cut it. Wish me luck!

  14. What does “sufficient funds” mean?
    Im intresteed in this question for 2018. Im not sure where to find this exact information.
    On mae website there all a bunch of mentions but is not saying exactly how much. Does anyone know the current prices for 1 person / month?
    in 2014 minimum wage was 700
    now in 2018 is 1900 ..
    so how this increase afected the “sufficient funds” ? Thank you 🙂

    1. This is indeed a good question. In theory, it should be minimum social security received here in Romania * 12 (so around 400 Euros). However, I personally never heard of anyone being given a permit based on having this minimum amount alone, so in reality it might be a bit more difficult to do it – especially if the funds are towards this minimum.

      But I doubt anybody would try to move to a country living on 20 Euros a month… so most likely if you have a minimum of 500 Euros per month (the more, the better) you should have no problems getting the permit.

  15. Hi I am considering retiring in Romania. I was also considering buying a property..

    Is it possible for a non resident foreigner to buy a property in Romania.

  16. Hi Calin:
    You’re really on a roll! Two updates in two days!
    50K Euros–yikes!!! I guess I’ll have to come up with
    a medical condition, or to volunteer to help round up
    the errant pooches–bow-wowzers!
    I’ll have to play this by ear, I guess. Studying might be interesting. Maybe, I could audit university courses, or at least study the language. But, I would want to remain long-term (over five years, or life–whichever is longer:-). There’s no point in giving up everything in the bad ol’ USA for a short-term residency.
    Thanks for keeping all the wannabes updated!
    ~Teil (USA)

    1. 50k is indeed a lot. This might be a rule that’s only on paper and not really taken into consideration, but it’s risky not to do everything by the book.

      These rules change regularly and if Romania’s population keeps going down, the government will probably realize that they must make it easier for people to come here so this could change in a year or 3 as well.

  17. I wish I had spent some time in Romania last year. Ended up spending 7 months in Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Georgia, and Ukraine. And next week going to Colombia for 6 months. I decided against Romania after reading about the red tape and fees needed for an American to establish a “business.” And now $50,000 put the last nail in the coffin. A shame too, because Transylvania looks to be one of the world’s great areas to live. And quite a few other places in Romania look good. I read recently in a post that Romanians really don’t want outsiders moving in. Don’t know if he was referring to people in general, or specific groups. At any rate, if I’m going to move so far away I’m going to go where they make it super simple and cheap to move there and by far that’s Georgia. But Colombia looks to be a better option for living cheaply close to the States so guess my fascination with your side of the world has drawn to a close. I really, really like the idea of Poland, but in return for letting spend my hard earned money there they want to tax me pretty harshly. But if one wants to spend 6 months in Poland, then three months each in Romania and Bulgaria, not a bad life.

    1. Indeed, Wade – you can still spend up to 3 months in Romania without a problem and then move to a new destination. It’s not ideal for those looking for a more permanent home base, but it does work for some.

      I would not say that Romanians don’t want outsiders moving in. Everybody I know is extremely friendly towards foreigners and it’s actually the first time ever that I hear that. Now, it’s true that the Romanian bureaucracy might make it look like we don’t want anybody in (since it’s so difficult for non-EU citizens to get the residence permit), but this is just the way things are done here and nothing else.

      Colombia sounds like a really exotic place, I hope you have a great time there!

  18. For the manager of a company visa for Americans.

    I spoke with a lawyer in Romania today (who’s does this for a few other Americans already), and she informed me that the 50,000 euro criteria does NOT apply to Americans. It is waved and you do not need to show proof.

    Just wanted to let you know as maybe it’s changed from any research done previously and for any fellow Americans the read this.

  19. thanks for the information,am not part of the eu country,i have my study permit here in romania.i want to know if my wife can join me and what are the criteria.

    1. Unfortunately, I don’t know the answer to this question. I believe that it should be possible, but you will have to check out some official sources on this matter.

  20. Regarding this 50,000 Euro for non Eu citizens.
    It has to be shown as share capital.
    Thanks in advance

  21. Hi Calin,
    This is an interesting update. Being a UK passport holder I have been following the whole process quite closely and for any other brits out there then this may be of interest:

    Well, it seems very likely now after all the negotiations and media hype we will be leaving the EU by the summer. This has got me thinking and with the goodwill extension outlined in the link I think I need to get a residence permit ASAP. I have a couple of questions in advance of my application that you may or may not be able to anser Calin please, firstly, does it matter which immigration office I make the application to? i.e. Can I apply in the MH office at Drobeta or as my property is in Jud.CS do I need to use the office in Resita? Secondly, can I download the application form in advance of going there? I couldnt find it online si presume not. Looking froward to hearing from you and keep up the good work with the website.


    1. Hello Shane,

      First off, I do believe that it would be best to get the permit ASAP. For EU citizens, it’s almost a formality and it’s extremely easy to get it.

      Regarding your second questions, I believe that you can only apply at the Caras-Severin office, since your property is located there. I don’t know the official data on this, I just think that this is how things go.

      I looked for an online application form and I couldn’t find any. So unfortunately, you would have to go there in person. The good thing with both offices is that they are not crowded and probably you’ll get the residence permit in one day.

      1. Hi Calin, Thanks, I agree and I will make the trip to Resita as soon as I am back but have only just got back to the uk and I don’t envisage getting back there now until May because of work. But I will go there and let you know the outcome. Though today’s news is looking more likely that article 50 may be revoked or it will go to a second Brexit vote. Saying that though I think after all this time I should really start getting a few years worth of permits clocked up.. Thanks again. Shane

  22. Thanks for the info it was useful – just to point out as an update that the Registration Document that I have just received (as a EU citizen) does not resemble the one you have here and I paid no taxes.

    1. Hello Giles,

      Happy to hear that no taxes had to be paid to get the document as an EU citizen. The image that I have featured is from 2009, which is ages ago in current times but unfortunately I don’t have a more recent one 🙂

  23. If i want to come for education in Romania for law (master),will i get the student visa.
    I have done LLB from India and have 3 yrs of working experience. And what are the procedure for getting PR in Romania.

  24. I just want to say a huge thank you to Calin for this article and share today’s experience.

    So with the uncertainty of Brexit and with the chaos surrounding UK politics at the moment I have known for some time that I needed to get a residents permit. Today armed with all the documents listed by Calin I made the journey with my 8 year old daughter to our county town of Resita and took the plunge.

    We soon found the birou de imigrari tucked behind the Police inspectorate and nervously I went in and explained in my best Romanian why I was there. The officer on duty was a nice guy and luckily there was no-one else waiting so I didn’t feel under pressure, he didn’t speak English but we got through ok. I explained the main reason I wanted it was because of Brexit and the uncertainty and also explained that ultimately after coming to Romania for nearly 30 years that I would be applying for a Romanian passport.

    He gave me a form to complete and I needed to show all the documents Calin listed, but it’s worth mentioning here that he required photocopies of my passport, medical card and bank details. I thought the bank details would be a deal breaker as he was concerned it wasn’t a Romanian bank, but I explained that the debit card I had for the same account had a link logo on and meant I ciukd access funds from here and it seemed to do the trick.

    He took my documents and the form and after taking my photo told me to return 4 hours later. We did and I had the certificate. And, here’s the added was for 5 years!!

    Also worth mentioning it didn’t cost a penny, When I said I was expecting to pay he said it was free.

    However as I left the office elated and so excited we walked back to the car and Zara realized she had left her mobile in the office!! Yes I know she’s only 8 but when we are here I insist she has a phone with her in case we get split up or she somehow wanders off, so we rushed back and the office was shut and the door had an old style “plumbe” seal on it preventing access. I called her mobile and we could hear it ringing inside. On the door was an emergency contact number, I took the plunge and called it and luckily it was answered by the same man. He told me to hang on and came back to the office to provide access, how nice was that?

    He was a really nice man and after the initial questioning seemed to warm to us and started to show his curiousity to how I ended up there.

    All in all a great day with a great result, thank you Calin for the inspiration and information.

    1. Wow, Shane! I am really happy to read about such a perfect and pleasant experience here in Romania! I am happy that everything went well and getting the permit for 5 years definitely saves you from a lot of trouble. Congrats and thanks for sharing all the details with fellow readers!

  25. Great information!

    I am interested in applying for a Romanian residence permit under the category of being a manager of a company. I checked the rules here:
    I am wondering a few things (all quotes taken from the website above):
    1. Can this company be a foreign company, such as one registered in another EU state (i.e Bulgaria)?
    2. It clearly states on the website ‘as an administrator of the company, on the date of the request you are not associated or shareholder of the company concerned or to another Romanian legal entity and have not had these qualities in the past 2 years’. I don’t understand this – how can I create a company and not be a shareholder or be associated with the company?
    3. ‘proof of the financial means of support amounting to at least 500 EUR per month from the activity exercised in accordance with the mandate agreement.’ Does this mean 500 euros x 12 months (the duration of the permit) = 6000 euros? Can this be proven with a statement from my overseas bank account ?
    4. ‘To obtain your residence permit you must be insured in the state system. Therefore, you will need to present to the territorial body of the General Immigration Inspectorate where you request the granting of this right a certificate issued by the Health Insurance House or the individual employment contract accompanied by the ReviSal “print screen”, if you are employed in Romania.’
    I am not a resident in Romania. How can I be insured in the state system as a nonresident?
    5. You mentioned in the article that US citizens are exempt from the 50,000 euro startup capital requirement. Do you know if Canadians are as well?

    Thank you!


    1. Hello Manny,

      I will answer to your questions on a point by point basis. Great finds and questions, by the way!

      1. No, it has to be a company created and registered in Romania.

      2. I think they mean that you are just the administrator or the owner of the company, and not in a partnership. This is vague and strange (I checked the Romanian version and it’s the same), but I do think they refer to the fact that you should be the sole owner of the company.

      3. I didn’t see that mentioned anywhere – but yes, a bank statement from anywhere should be enough.

      4. Yes, this is a problem that the family who moved from the US to Brasov had. What you will actually have to do is get private insurance in Romania and use that as a proof of being insured in the country. Only afterwards you will be able to get state health insurance and drop the private one if you want to.

      5. Unfortunately, I am not 100% sure about this, but I would say that Canadians are exempt as well.

  26. Hello, i’m a US citizen and i’m creating a company in Romania and in order to do thet i need to get a residence permit in Romania, so this article was really helpful. Thanks!

  27. Hello C The romania
    Glad to read through your page
    I am a Nigerian man and i have travelled to south Africa before but i seems like to come to your country and probably i will like to live and work in Romania
    Please advice me on how to go about it

  28. Hi,

    I’m a US citizen who just received his residence permit this week (as a firm administrator)! I’d like to share my experiences. It was much less traumatic than I thought it would be! BTW, I primarily speak English and my Romanian is still extremely poor. And the experiences I describe relate to the Bucharest office on Strada Eforie.

    First, some general advice. 1. Be patient. If you’re not a patient person, you will learn to become one. 2. From my observations, Romania is not a particularly customer-centric country. Once you accept that, it’s easy to get used to it. In other words, don’t expect “service with a smile” every where you go. NB: Not saying this as a negative, just a level set for your expectations. It is what it is. 3. Always bring the originals and copies of every document. Always.

    The first thing you need to do is find a place to live, and get a registered contract. Assuming you’re renting, you may get some push back from your prospective landlord about a registered contract. You absolutely need this. If the landlord is unwilling to provide one, say thank you and move on to the next apartment on your list. There WILL be another one in the area and price range you’re looking for.

    Now, to get your company formed. Hire an avocat. Seriously, don’t even think about trying it yourself. I paid 1000 RON, plus the initial 200 RON bank deposit, plus 200 euro to register his office as my headquarters (sediu). Then he went and filed all the paperwork, and arranged for the notary public and translator (more on this below). All I had to do was meet up at the notariat to sign the papers. That was a bargain considering the potential headaches and grief waiting for an inexperienced, non-Romanian speaking guy like myself. Of course, your experience and pricing may vary.

    Notariats: Unlike in the US, notary publics are much more formal. You cannot simply bring a document and have them add their seal after watching you sign it. They are more like a combination of paralegals (they actually draw up the papers) and the courthouse where papers get filed. And if you are not a Romanian speaker, you are REQUIRED to have a licensed translator read the documents to you in English. When I was forming the company, the notariat charged about 200 RON and the translator 300 RON. Later, when preparing the power of attorney for my accountant, I shopped around and paid 95 for the notariat and 100 for the translator. Also, be aware most notariats fall into the “not customer-friendly” category – but there are some nice ones – don’t be afraid to shop around — for example: if they say “go away until next week”, just smile and say “No thanks, I’ll go to the one down the street”. And ALWAYS call the notariat – don’t just drop in to schedule an appointment – even the nice ones don’t like that.

    OK, you have your place to live and a company formed now. Time to work on the residence permit. First, get your certificate of health. Go find a policlinica and ask at the front desk. In my case, it cost 30 RON and about 10 minutes of my time. Never saw a doctor or other health professional – gave a lady 30 RON and my passport and she came back 10 minutes later with the document all filled out and signed. Your experience may vary. Make you sure you have private health insurance – if you bought a policy off the internet print out the contract and make sure it shows the start and end date of the contract. That’s all they looked at on mine – no details of the coverage, deductables, repatriation, etc. Now make a copy of everything — including your passport – you need a copy of the picture page and the stamp page with your latest date of entry in Romania. You also need to pay the taxes and fees. If you don’t have a local bank account (not every bank will allow you to open an account without residence status – example: BT as of circa 1/7/2019), you can look up the amounts and account numbers and go to a CASH-handling branch (this eliminates most mall branches) of CEC and BCR to pay these. You’ll also need a printout of your latest bank statement showing you have the necessary funds to live. On mine they just looked at the date and the balance at the top – they didn’t poke thru all the line items. A whole 10 seconds was spent on that.

    Time now to visit the immigration office. Gather up all your originals and copies of everything and head down. If you’re going to Strada Eforie, you turn right as soon as you enter the building and go thru the double doors, then enter the first doors on the left. You’ll be in a big room with two windows on each side. You want the windows on the left hand side (as you’re entering). All the agents there speak very good English, are extremely helpful and quite pleasant to deal with. (This is after having to visit several times – your experience may vary). When it’s your turn, approach the window and tell the agent you need to apply for a resident permit as a firm administrator. They will ask you for your documents and sort thru them to make sure you have everything needed. The first time I went, I was missing a few and the lady very kindly wrote out a list of what I needed and where I needed to go (I was missing a constator because I have a Romanian partner for my business). If you’re missing anything – just go get it and come back.

    One thing they will check is if you are within the 60 day period you have to file your application. In my case there was some vagueness (possibly due to translation) in how the rule is worded and I was not in that 60 day period. Don’t worry! They give you a form to go pay a small fine – 50 RON if you pay within a few days or 100-500 RON if you wait. I paid the fine that day and returned with the proof. (They accepted the application anyway and just added the proof of payment when i returned)

    After you have everything, they will fill out the application – you’ll sign some stuff and they take your picture. Then you get to come back in 30 days and pick up your permit!

    A couple of things I was expecting but never came up: That 50K euro requirement was never mentioned nor was I even asked about my company’s current assets at all. And even though I had it with me, they never asked for my criminal background check (BTW, if you need one – go to the US embassy to pick up a couple of fingerprint cards, take the cards to a police station on Stefan Cel Mare where they will take your fingerprints, then setup the request at the FBI website and overnight the cards to them – turn around time was about 4 days and cost was $18 – no need to deal with 3rd party services).

    All in all, it was a far simpler and pleasanter experience than I had expected. The anxiety and uncertainty of doing something this important really made me nervous and scared. But having gone thru it once now, my best advice is: be nice, be patient, and if you have any questions – ask nicely at the immigration office – those people were absolutely awesome to deal with!

    Good luck!

    1. One other bit of advice: As soon as you form your company, hire an accountant (contabil). You’ll need him/her working on getting you set up to pay taxes, handle employee contracts, etc. There’s a fair bit more bureaucracy here than you’ll find in other places.

      Also, when hiring an avocat or contabil, be sure you speak the same language – or have somebody available who can translate well including the professional lingo. While my avocat was excellent at what he did, we did have a language barrier that caused some unnecessary grief.

      1. Brandon — thanks for this account. Very helpful. Can you share the name of your avocat? The one I contacted –and this was two years ago — wanted 900 euro for setting up the business, and 1500 euro for assistance getting the residence permit (though his English seems to be fine). Your experience makes it sound like getting the residence permit can be done without assistance.

        1. Sorry, I’m not comfortable posting my avocat’s name and phone number here. If “C the Romanian” or another mod can exchange our email addresses or otherwise arrange a private message, I’ll be more than happy to share it.

          Regarding the need for an avocat: When I first started the process, my thought was “Of course I need a lawyer!” Probably a very US biased attitude as I had just witnessed the nightmare one of my employees in the US went thru trying to get her green card. After I got my company formed, I asked my avocat about getting the residence permit. He said basically “just take your papers down to the immigration office and file the application”. I was very skeptical that it would be that simple. And since we had that bit of a language barrier, I decided to consult another avocat for the residence permit. So I called up one of the (few) avocats listing immigration as a specialty on the US Embassy’s list of English speaking avocats. Turns out the one I spoke to was no longer practicing, but he gave me a LOT of free advice – the most important being that I did not really need an avocat to file the residence permit application. I was still skeptical, but decided I would try it solo, and if things got too complicated, I would engage an avocat later if needed. As it turned out, they were right – and with the assistance of the very helpful agents at the immigration office I had no real difficulties.

          Of course, your circumstances and experience may vary.

          Good luck!

    2. Brandon, thanks a lot for sharing your experience with our readers. I am happy to see that everything went smoothly and I am sure everybody here will find your article extremely useful.

    3. Thank you for posting this Brandon. I will be using it as my blueprint as I am moving to Romania from the U.S. later this year. I have visited 3 times and now will move there long term. 🙂

      1. Happy to be of service. If you have any questions or need some advice on anything, feel free to post here. This site is a fantastic resource! But sometimes it’s not just knowing what to do, but how to do it that can be a little intimidating. Good example was getting that certificate of public health – I worried about that for days before just hitching up my britches and walking into the nearest policlinica 😉

    4. Hi Brandon, Calin
      Thank you very much for the information on this topic, I found it extremely helpful! I am setting up a business with a fellow Romanian in Bucharest and was speaking to a lawyer about the immigration process. He said that I first need to apply for a Long Term Stay visa prior to applying for the Residence Permit. From your own experience, is this correct? In my mind, I was thinking, as an American, I already can stay in Romania for 90 days visa free. Can I not start applying for the residence permit during this 90 day period or do I, as the lawyer indicated, have to first apply for a Long Term Stay visa?

      1. Unless something changed in the last few weeks, you absolutely can apply for a residence permit during your free 90 day stay (see my reply to your other post). Feel free to email me at [email protected] if you want some advice on getting your business going (would be a bit off-topic to post too much here). There’s a few (at least) quirky things (from an American point of view) I found that you might want to be aware of.

  29. Cu placere! I should have also thanked you for all the valuable information provided here.

    Hopefully by sharing some of the details of the process – like what line to stand in at the immigration office (nothing worse than standing in line over an hour only to get to the window and find you’ve been in the wrong line LOL) or the simplicity of getting the certificate of public health — it will help relieve some anxiety for others.

  30. Hi guys,

    I decided to move to Romania and to apply for the residence permit. I am an from EU, but I am worried about one thing. The renting contract that I have to bring to the Immigration office, has to be registered on my name ? I am living with my girlfriend and she has a legal renting contract. Can I use that ?
    Is it something more that me or her should do ?

    Thank you in advance!

  31. Hi! My husband is a Romanian citizen but he live and work in the UK. I have more than 1 year that I’m married with him, but unfortunately we don’t live together because the immigration police want a proof like residence permit to let me entry in their territory because I’m non EU citizen. I’m ready to do this because I have to much time that we meet each other only for few days. Except the paper that I must to bring could you please inform me for other things that I don’t know?! We’re married in my country . Sotul/sotia cetateanului roman

    a. cerere;
    b. documentul de trecere a frontierei (pasaportul, titlul de calatorie, etc.) original si
    c. documentul de identitate al cetateanului roman, original si copie;
    d. certificatul de casatorie eliberat de autoritatile romane original si copie (in cazul in care casatoria s-a incheiat in strainatate, certificatul va fi transcris la Oficiile de Stare Civila din Romania);
    e. declaratie scrisa din care sa rezulte ca strainul nu mai are incheiata o alta casatorie;
    f. dovada detinerii legale a spatiului de locuit la adresa la care declara ca are resedinta pe teritoriul Romaniei in original si copie;
    g. dovada asigurarii sociale de sanatate;
    h. adeverinta medicala;
    i. taxe. Thank you in advance!

  32. I have a question, My girlfriend is Romanian and I’m a US citizen, We want to move to Alba Iulia. Should we marry in the US or marry in Romania? What is the best website to keep updated that is legit to know what to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

  33. Hello everyone,
    I’m suranga from sri lanka,presently I’m 1month years old in Romenia with work permit.Pls knowledge me can I apply for permanent resident in Romenia?

  34. Hi,
    I am from India and will be moving to Bucharest with work permit VISA shortly… Can someone suggest me some good place to rent a flat along with the documents needed to apply for the residence permit.?
    Appreciate if someone could also let me know some detail about taxation on the income as well and an estimated expense for a family of 3 (including my kid’s schooling).
    NOTE: I am going to have my family along with me (spouse and 7 year old kid).

    1. You can search the website for real estate offers or go directly to an agent. I actually recommend doing it through an agent since it’s your first time here. The salary you have discussed with your employer will be what you’ll get home with (assuming it’s the NET value you agreed upon, which is how it’s usually done). If not, the taxes are somewhere around 42% of your Gross salary.

      Regarding schooling, that would be free if you opt for the state school (only teaching in Romanian). Otherwise, expect to pay anything between 500 – 1,200 Euros per month if you choose private education.

      1. Many thanks for your high level details… is there an option to talk you via PM..? I have no idea about the NET income that would suffice a family of 3 that I can agree (including rent, food, education for my kid, transportation, medical and some emergency funds)..

  35. Hi,
    Good to have found this site.
    I am an American Citizen but also a Romanian Citizen, with my residence in the USA (cetatean cu domiciliul in strainatate), and would like to return/retire to Romania.
    I am wondering how may I do it. I suspect it would be easier for me, since I am still a Romanian Citizen.
    Thank you.

  36. Hi,
    I’m a retired American single woman who would like to live in Romania permanently. I understand there is no option for US retirees, but having volunteered previously in the country with the Helpx website, I’m wondering if this would qualify as volunteering, or if that refers to an NGO with some official standing. I’d literally be happy to work for free for the rest of my days- and I’m healthy and fit- just to be able to live in the country. Any idea whether such informal volunteering as Helpx or WWOOF would qualify me for a permis de sedere?
    Thanks for any advice.

    1. Hello Kit,

      Unfortunately, I don’t think that those particular websites would count as volunteering. I am not 100% sure about this: if either of the websites (or their hosts) could offer some sort of papers to prove that you are indeed volunteering, it could work. Like most cases here, I think that this is unfortunately that type of question that you can only find the answer by directly contacting the authorities in the area you plan to retire: some might accept it, some might not.

  37. Dear C the Romanian,

    I have a question, I am married with a Romanian around 2 years and both of us live in another country not part of UE. We decided to move to Romania end of this year, however my business is a professional photographer, thinking to open a photography studio in Romania. Not sure about the customs regarding my photography equipment, since I need two open my business. Do you have any idea which problems I will face to enter the country with a large of photography equipment.

    Appreciate your reply.

  38. Thank You C. the Romanian,

    Myself and my wife we cannot find anything related Romanian Customs. What is allowed and not allowed. Taxes to pay. Anyway, if you can help me with some website or document I will really appreciate.

    Thanks once again.

  39. Hello,
    My wife is from Romania, and she came here in 2002 with her son. He was 3 at the time. We were married here, and they both became US citizens. When we married, she made sure that our marriage was legal in Romania (we paid a few visits to the Consulate in Chicago, and lots of notarized documents!)..
    That was 20 years ago, and now we both want to move to Romania. By the time we do this, I will be close to retirement age.
    She still owns an apartment in Arad, and currently, her sister is taking care of it while living there.
    We want to move there, then find a home to purchase. My wife will probably want to work more and I will probably want to find part time work, being semi-retired. (she is a computer software engineer, and I am a test engineer).
    I’ve fallen in love with Romania several years ago. We’ve been there twice together, but I’m convinced it is where I want to go and stay for the remainder of my life.
    Do you think our situation is different? Is it possible to obtain Romanian citizenship?

    1. Happy to hear that you like the country so much! I am not sure about citizenship, but as long as your wife still has her Romanian citizenship, it should be very easy for you all to get a long term residence permit under the family reunification rule.

  40. Thank you C. :). It is ironic, because our son does not wish to return to Romania, but he is a young adult ..I would say he was “Americanized” lol.. who knows how he will feel in the future.. but for me .. for sure (and my wife is happy about it), I just wish to be there. It has nothing to do with finances for me. It is something else.

  41. Hello,
    I really appreciate the way you structured the information here. On the official immigration office, everything is confusing since it’s split into multiple pages and not very good organised.
    I am an EU citizen, who obtained a residence permit last year, following your guide. Thanks for that 🙂

    Now, I need to renew/extend my residence permit and according to their website I need the following:
    1. application;
    2. passport, original and duplicate
    c. proof of the founds
    d. proof of legal ownership of the living space (original and duplicate)
    e. proof of social health insurance
    f. medical certificate;
    g. fees

    I have a European Health card now and I don’t want to pay again for private insurance. Will this be good enough?
    Also, in another place on the same website, the medical certificate is not mentioned.
    Is it really necessary?

    Thank you in advance!

    1. Hi Peter,

      I just finished renewing my residence permit, and maybe some of my experiences will be helpful to you and others.

      NB: Some of the following is based on living in Bucuresti and will obviously not apply if you are in a different area. Also, my permit is based on me being the owner/administrator of a company – your requirements might vary if you’re here for other purposes.

      First, sadly the office on Strada Eforie closed in December 2019. The functions there have moved to the office on Strada Nicolae Iorga (just west of Piata Romana off Bdul Dacia) — the same office where one would go for family-related visas. That in and of itself isn’t so bad, but with COVID precautions in place, it’s not so pleasant.

      You can no longer just go down to the office and wait in line to ask questions. They almost always want you to have an appointment (the only exception I’m aware of is when I was picking up my permis de sedere – they called me and I was able to just go and pick it up). How do you get an appointment? It seems you fill out your online application and they will email you a date/time to come down with your documents shortly afterwards.

      You CAN also talk to the guard at the entrance to the courtyard and get an adhoc appointment scheduled – but these are limited in number and may require you to come back several hours later (not sure if you can schedule for another day). Bottom-line: it’s better if you can get an appointment scheduled ahead of time.

      Regarding insurance: When I went to renew, I was told my private Cigna policy was not acceptable and I must have the state issued insurance. I do not know if a European Health card is acceptable. Basically what they did was go to this website to check whether I had the state insurance. I didn’t.

      Not a big problem, if you need it, go down to your local ANAF office – they’ll give you about a 5 page form of which you basically just fill out your name and address and sign the last page, then pay about 1300 lei for a year (minimum annual health contribution), then carry the documents to a local insurance house (in Bucuresti, go to CASMB near Baneasa) and they sign you up. The whole process can easily be done in a day (depending on your luck with how busy the offices are).

      The medical certificate was required. I got mine the same way as last time: walk into the nearest policlinica, ask nicely, pay the fee, and don’t ask for a receipt (*wink, wink*).

      And I agree, the website is awful for finding information and requirements. Another reason this website is so awesome and such a blessing! (Thanks again Calin!). The best way I found to get information from the website is to start an application (you can cancel before submitting) and see what documents it asks you to upload. Also, I did not have to submit a photo – they take your picture when you go to present your documents.

      Good luck!

      1. Hi Brandon, C the Romanian
        I’ve been reading all your posts on this topic and I truly appreciate the information you guys provided. I was also reading up on the immigration website regarding the Long Term Stay Visa and the Residence Permit. From your experience, do you need to first apply for a Long Term Stay visa prior to apply for the Residence Permit? I was told by a lawyer that even though as an American, where you have a 90 day visa free stay, you still need to apply the long term stay visa in order to apply for the residence permit. Is this true? Your advise would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

        1. Hi Caitlin,

          I’m not a lawyer, and my experience certainly pales in comparison to Calin’s, but I really don’t understand your lawyer’s advice. You certainly don’t need a Long Term Stay visa to apply for the residence permit. I can personally bear witness to this. Again, I’m no expert on immigration, but it seems like if you have a LTS visa, a residence permit might be redundant.

          Whichever way you go, what you ideally want to do is use the first 60 days of your “free” 90 days to get all your prep work done — registered rental contract, health certificate, and whatever other documents for your particular situation — ready and then file your application by day 60. Then the immigration dept is supposed to have your application processed within 30 days. So you’ll have your permit or visa in hand by the time your “free” 90 days runs out. But as I’ve mentioned previously, it hasn’t been a problem when I’ve submitted my applications at or after my current status’ expiration. (The first time it was a 50 lei fine, during the renewal the officer waived the fine). Of course, it’s always better to stay within the guidelines to avoid any surprises.

    1. Peter, happy to hear that the article was useful. This time though, I can’t be as helpful. The best bet here would be to actually visit the office where you plan to get the papers done and ask them what you need – as you probably know already, in some places they are more lenient than in others. But I do believe that you will need photos if there is an area dedicated to them (just have them on you), as well as the medical certificate – especially if the latter was required the first time also.

      Regarding the EU health card… that should be enough, but it’s still best to make sure and discuss this at the office where you will get the papers done not to have any surprises.

      I am saying this because most people I know from the EU are getting the 5-year permit instead of the yearly one, so some things are really left to be decided by the person handling the application.

Leave a Reply to Maxx Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.