Talking about girls in Romania is very difficult, as there are many possible approaches and generalization might not work, as each girl has her own personality and purpose in life and ways to achieve it, but after receiving a comment from Eric, I decided to try and tackle this delicate matter and write this Romanian Girls “guide” that will hopefully help all those interested in meeting a Romanian lady and know if they can find true love in Romania or they’re just going to get burned and taken advantage of.
First things first: 99% of the girls that I know in this country are amazing persons who would always put love above financial gains and would not even accept the idea of receiving a monthly “allowance” from their boyfriends. Or anything like that
99% of the girls that I know are strong, independent individuals who are able to make their own money or just make it work with what they have and the help of their family.
So most likely, you will be in a similar situation to mine and meet one of the millions of girls living in Romania who want nothing than a genuine relationship based on mutual love, trust and respect and you will easily find true, honest love in Romania.
But not all Romanian girls are like this and there’s a very small percentage (just like it happens in every country, I would say) that is looking to gain as much financially from you and not really into your charm and good looks. And you should be careful with this type of girls, since they can be extremely deceptive and eat up all your money before you even know that they’re not really interested in you.
Obviously, this article will focus more on this type of girls and highlight some of their traits so you can stay well away from them.
How to identify Romanian girls who want to take advantage of you and scam you
There are always some signs out there with girls that are more interested in getting your money (and remember, since Romania is a relatively poor country, most foreigners can be considered rich by Romanian standards: our medium wage is about 370 EUR or $490!). Usually, I would say that if any of the alarm signals listed below are true, you should be really careful and reconsider the relationship with that particular lady. She might not be with you for your good looks and charming personality…
Have in mind that these “signs” are not always a proof that your newly found Romanian girl is only interested in your money, but chances are that she is:
1. Good looking girls that invest a lot in their beauty and are way above your regular grade. I know a few girls who invest all the money they have in fancy clothes, visits to the nail & hair saloon and all possible methods to improve their looks with the only goal in mind being that of getting the attention of the people with money.
They dress to attract attention and, very importantly, they play hard to get (in order not to make their true intentions obvious). They want to make you believe that it’s your win if you manage to get into their good grace and get a date!
Generally, if she seems to be way out of your league and still interested in you, you might have to wonder what her real intentions are. It might happen every now and then to be true interest, but usually it won’t be.
Of course, now you shouldn’t consider all ladies who are careful with their looks like scammers who only want your money. It’s normal for a lady to want to look good (especially in today’s world when looks seem to be everything), but if she goes above and beyond to afford her clothes, makeup and jewelry or asks you for money for it… these are alarm signals!
2. She is surrounded by single ladies who seem to have a similar attire and attitude. A group of Victoria’s Secret model lookalikes is most likely a group of girls not looking for true love. Otherwise, they’d certainly not be single. Or at least some of them wouldn’t.
Some of these girls might even work in “pairs” making you think that you scored big when they decide to both join you… but don’t be fooled here. These will obviously not be ladies for a long term relationship.
3. Clubbing is her life. Clubs are for hook-ups mostly and everybody knows it. Although there might be genuine ladies interested in real relationships hanging out in clubs (that’s the place where you can meet new people, duh!), if they like to spend all their time in clubs, they’re probably not looking for commitment.
4. She never has the intention to pay for anything and orders the expensive(ish) products. This is another sign that she might not be interested by anything else but your money.
It is customary in Romania for the man to pay for the drinks (and/or food if applicable), and even small gifts are acceptable at first, but it’s also common sense that the girl should at least offer to pay for her share, even if she knows or expects you to pay for it. So if she doesn’t even bother to look at the bill, that’s a clear signal that this is how things will go from that moment onward.
5. She owns a lot of things that she wouldn’t afford otherwise. The comment that inspired me to write this article talked about a girl that just finished college, had no job and no plans to get one soon, yet she had an 80,000 EUR apartment paid in full (this is a humongous amount here in Romania) and driving a 2011 BMW, which was all paid for too.
Unless her parents were incredibly rich and supported her, that money came from taking advantage of other men’s weaknesses. So always be on the lookout and if she has things she can’t really afford, be careful!
It doesn’t have to be expensive apartments and fancy cars, it can be just expensive jewelry and designer clothes. When you’re earning 300 EUR per month, it’s very difficult to buy nothing but genuine Armani bags and tons of gold and diamonds if you don’t have somebody else paying for it!
6. She outright asks for money. This should be on the top of the list, actually. If she asks for money or subtly hints that you should give her some, she might not be the soul mate you are looking for.
Some girls even come up with sad stories: their parents are sick, their siblings are sick, somebody close to them is in really bad debt, some terrible accident happened and they need some money. They can be extremely creative here and extremely convincing as well that they’re nothing but genuine, honest persons that truly need help… but usually that’s not the case.
If you really suspect that it’s indeed true what they say and you really want to help, try to make sure that the problem they’re talking about is indeed real (by visiting the injured relative, for example or something similar).
I know a Romanian girl who was talking with this guy from the UK over the internet, videochatting a lot. She had a really bad tooth and kept saying that she can’t afford to get it fixed, that it’s too expensive for her at about 200 Euros. Now, this was a really smart thing: the amount itself is not that huge for somebody living in the UK, the problem was obvious (she really had a horrible tooth) and most likely her partner had no idea that she could’ve had it fixed for half that price or less.
Eventually, the guy gave in (without her really asking for the money) and offered to send the money for her to fix her teeth. As soon as she had the money, she blocked the dude and never talked to him again. Now that’s a bit of work for 200 Euros, but if she manages to do that to at least 3 people per month, she’s already over the average salary in Romania…
7. She’s not always there for you. Although times are changing in Romania too, usually Romanian girls are very dedicated to their partners and extremely loyal and supportive.
There are no reasons for her to spend nights out on her own, be unavailable for hours (without a real reason) or refuse to introduce you to her friends. Most likely, if that happens, she does it because she has obligations and meets other people.
8. Eating out. Again, times are changing, but most of the people living in Romania are not used to eating out a lot. Fancy restaurants are generally out of the question, too.
If she expects to eat out a lot – or do any activities that aren’t so common here in Romania (visiting other countries during the weekends, taking short vacations, ordering expensive items), she might not be interested in true love, but getting the most of your money while they last.
9. She acts like a Prima Donna trophy. The more beautiful she is, the easier to act like this. This generally means that she will do her best to let you know that it’s your win if you’re dating her. She will play hard to get, she will be very moody, she will openly let you know that she’s high maintenance, she will expect gifts from you (yet she won’t buy anything for you) and generally, she will make sure to let you know how lucky you are to have found her. And despite all these, she won’t even agree to visit the bedroom with you as often as you’d like to.
These would be things to be aware of when looking for a Romanian girl and true love in this country. Not all the signs must be present for her to be interested only in your money, and it might still mean that she really loves you even if all the signs are present… which, I know, makes things a bit more complicated.
Try to use your common sense instead of letting your heart do the thinking: most of the girls here in Romania are simple, loving and great persons, so the chances of finding a scammer are really slim as long as you keep your eyes open. Good luck finding your match in Romania!